The Dome of San Giovanni is located next to Piazza Castello and Porte Palatine. It is a rare example of Renaissance architecture in the city of Turin. The Dome was built between 1491 and 1498 and is dedicated to Saint John the Baptist.
The dome has a chapel with a baroque cupola – the so-called Cappella della Sacra Sindone (Chapel of the Holy Shroud) where the silver shrine containing the presumable funeral shroud of Christ is kept. The Shroud is a 4,36 metres long and 1,11 metres wide sheet with a human imprint impressed on it. The tradition claims it is an imprint of Jesus Christ’s face as the sheet presumably covered his body after his death. However, the radiocarbon dating of the Shroud performed in 1988 in three different internationally renowned laboratories, ascertained that it actually dates back to the 14th century. This demonstrates that it is a fake and it can't be authentic.
The Holy Shroud is probably the most examined object in the world by every branch of knowledge – history, chemistry, archeology, informatics etc. It has been kept in the Dome of San Giovanni since 1578.
Address: Piazza Castello 4
The Church of San Lorenzo is situated on Piazza Castello, just next to the Piazzetta Reale. The church has a simple façade uniformed to that of the nearby buildings. Its construction began in 1634 in order to accomplish the vow made by Emanuele Filiberto on the San Quintino battle's eve against the French (August 10th, 1557), and was consecrated in 1680.
The Church of San Lorenzo is preceded by the Oratorio dell' Addolorata (1846), that stands instead of the ancient church of Santa Maria del Presepe. The interior of the church is an octagonal plan with convex sides, covered by a well-lighted dome with a lantern. Behind the sides there are four concave domes, placed diagonally.
The extraordinary ability of Guarini is reaffirmed in the dome's drawing, formed by a skeleton constituted by sixteen bundles that, crossing with each other, recall anthropomorphic figures. The structure, restored to the essential elements, captures the light by wide windows and it confers the building a great vertical burst.
Address: Via San Domenico 0
Tel.: 011.43.57.774 - 011.43.57.775 - 011.43.57.776
At the corner of via Milano and via San Domenico stands the Church of San Domenico, the only Gothic building in the city. Erected in the 14th century, it was rebuilt in 1776. At the beginning of 20th century some stylistic restorations were made.
The interior has a basilica planning, with a nave and two-side aisles with cross vaults; at the bottom of the right side aisle there is Cappella del Rosario and on the left side of the high altar there is Cappella della Madonna delle Grazie, where precious frescoes presumably created by the so-called Maestro di San Domenico are kept.
Address: Via Maria Ausiliatrice 32
The church of Maria Santissima Ausiliatrice, where the remains of San Giovanni Bosco are kept, is a work of art by Antonio Spezia built in 1865-1868, with subsequent modifications. There is the statue of Madonna on the big dome, and inside, in a single nave, painted portray of Maria Ausiliatrice by Tommaso Lorenzone.
Address: Via Palazzo di Città 20
The church was erected in 1603 on the project by Ascanio Vittozzi and is dedicated to the miracle of SS. Sacramento (1435); it has a marble façade made of two superimposed orders, planned by Francesco Lanfranchi (1671), with four statues by Bernardo Falconi.
The interior, formed by a single nave, is enlightened by a 3-mullioned window, placed on the entrance portal. On the nave's sides there are six chapels of rectangular plan. The nave is covered by a barrel vault, with frescoes by Luigi Vacca. Between the 2nd and the 3rd chapel, there is an enclosure which holds a tombstone that remembers the place where, by tradition, the miracle happened.
Address: Piazza C.l.n. (Comitato Liberazione Nazionale), 231/Bis
The Church of Santa Cristina and the Church of San Carlo are the twin churches placed on the corner of the south blocks of Piazza San Carlo, which frame the beginning of the south stretch of via Roma.
The Church of Santa Cristina was erected since 1639 according to a drawing by Carlo di Castellamonte, while the façade, curvilinear in the central part, in marble and granite, is due to Filippo Juvarra (1715-1718); the statues were created by Carlo Antonio Tantardini and Giuseppe Nicola Casana.
Address: Piazza C.l.n. (Comitato Liberazione Nazionale), 236
The Church of San Carlo was consecrated by Carlo Emanuele I and was begun in 1619; in the façade, projected in a later period (1834), the tympanum is decorated by a bas-relief in marble portraying Emanuele Filiberto communicated by San Carlo (by Stefano Butti).
The bell tower is square and the bell tower cell has an octagonal dome.
The longitudinal interior has a single nave with two bays with cross vaults and with two chapels for each side. The first chapel on the left, of the Addolorata, is a work of art by Tommaso Carlone, like the chapel of San Giuseppe (about 1656), which stands in front of it.