Address: Piazza Castello
The history of Palazzo Madama begins in the Roman age, as manifested by the remains of the praetorian door – the two towers later conglobed in the baroque façade of the building. At first used as a fort, later the palazzo lost its defensive function, and was transformed into a palace for the ducal family.
In 1799 Palazzo Madama was occupied by a revolutionary government. At different times it was the residence of the Regia Pinacoteca from 1834 until 1865, of the Astronomic Observatory (demolished in 1920), of the Sub Alpine Parliament and then Italian Senate (1848 – 1864) and of the Court of Cassation. In 1924 the 1st floor of the Palazzo was sold to the Municipality, and in 1934 the Museo Civico di Arte Antica was opened there (reopened on 16 December 2006).
Address: Via Accademia delle Scienze 5
Tel.: 011.562.11.47 (The National Museum of Risorgimento)
The fired brick façade of the Palazzo is made in a curvilinear way, with the elliptical central body jutting out to the interior courtyard. From the vestibule, two curvilinear staircases lead to the noble floor. In 1848 it was transformed into the residence of the Sub Alpine Parliament. The first Italian Parliament was also situated here until the capital moved to Florence in 1865.
At present the building hosts the National Museum of the Italian Risorgimento, the Sub Alpine Deputation of the Homeland History, the Institute of Studies of the Risorgimento History and the Superintendence for the Artistic and Historical Goods of Piedmont.
Address: Via Montebello 20
Tel.: 011.812.56.58 (The National Museum of Cinema)
The high spire of the Mole is completed with a series of conic and cylindrical elements. These elements end with a cusp of pyramidal shape on an octagonal plan. In 1889 a winged genius was added to the spire. The Mole is the highest brick building in the city of Turin, with its 163,35 meters high. The panoramic lift leads to a small temple under the spire. From there one can enjoy a terrific view over the city and the surrounding mountains.
Nowadays the Mole Antonelliana hosts the National Museum of Cinema.
Address: Viale Virgilio, Valentino park
The Village and Medieval Castle situated on the side of the river Po are part of the Valentino park. It was built for the General Italian Exhibition of 1884, based on an idea by Alfredo d'Andrade, with the help of a group of artists and historians.
The Village reproduces a series of medieval typologies, taking some best known buildings in Piedmont and in Valle d'Aosta as models; the artisan shops are working, creating a special medieval atmosphere.
Address: Strada Comunale Santa Margherita 79
Villa della Regina can be reached from Piazza della Gran Madre along the road with the same name. The Villa was transformed from the already existing building in 1615 by Ascanio Vitozzi. It became residence of Queen Ann Mary of Orléans. In 1868 the building was donated to the Institute of the Army’s Daughters and became municipal property in 1994. The building was damaged in the bombing of 1942 and later rebuilt.
The double curvilinear staircase of Villa della Regina with central fountain leads to the porticoed entrance. Two side pavilions give light to the façade, crowned in the centre by a terrace with statues. The palazzo displays frescoes and paintings by Giovanni Battista Crosato, Daniel Seyter and Corrado Giaquinto and precious Chinese Cabinets in lacquer and golden wood.
Address: Via Alfieri 15
This famous palace was built between 1663 and 1665 for the Earl Giovanni Battista Beggiamo by the Lugano entrepreneur Domenico Bernardi. During 19th century the palace hosted various institutions. In 1975 it became residence for Regione Piemonte and now it is seat of the regional council of Piedmont.
The Palazzo was restored after the bombing, but most of its original frescoes and paintings were not preserved. Various interventions were made in 18th and 19th centuries, which also contributed to the changes in the original image of the castle.
Address: Via Maria Vittoria 4
Palazzo Carpano represents some of the most famous halls in Turin, decorated with beautiful stuccoes, statues and Guarini shapes. It was built in 1684 by Michelangelo Garove, engineer of the Duke of Savoy.
The hall of the Palazzo Carpano represents some innovations in the architecture: it has a sliced vault, foreshadowing the solutions adopted by the Palazzo Provana of Collegno. It also lacks the classic gallery at the noble floor, and the main room is split into a double-height environment facing the yard and a normal-size room facing the façade.
Palazzo Carpano now hosts the historical society of Carpano, producer of the famous vermouth.
Address: Via Po 17
The Royal University Palace was projected by Michelangelo Garove starting from 1712 and finished within the 1730s with contributions by Antonio Bertola, Giovanni Antonio Ricca and Filippo Juvarra. It was built for the needs of the Savoy school system.
The palace is characterized by the honor yard of a regular shape. The portico has pillars with smooth rooks. Nowadays the palace hosts the University of Turin.
Address: Piazza Castello
Starting from the ancient Porta Praetoria of Roman Age which constituted the east entrance to the city of Turin, and constituted by two towers with sixteen sides in the base and united by a wall with four frames, a fort was enacted there in 1276 by Guglielmo VII Marquis of Monferrato.
Since the original door was blocked, it was necessary to build a new one, the Porta Fibellona, which opened in the wall next to the castle. Since then the palace was reconstructed for several times during the Middle Ages. Later the fort lost its defensive function and became residence of the Royal Madams. It was when the palace got its baroque façade and, inside, the magnificent monumental staircase.
Representation of the court life and of the Savoy bureaucrat system, the castle became one of the functional and structural poles of the city.
There are three monuments next to the palace: the Ensign of the Sardinian Army, Monument to Emanuele Filiberto Duke of Aosta and Monument to the Italian Cavalrymen.